These were developed by The Center for Media Literacy based on the Five Core Concepts which the early media literacy field adapted. In their work with teachers over the years, they learned that concepts are difficult to teach but questions are powerful! The Center’s five key questions of Media Literacy are:
- Who created this message?
- What creative techniques are used to attract my attention?
- How might different people understand this message differently from me?
- What lifestyles, values, and points of view are represented in or omitted from this message?
- Why is this message being sent?
The Center developed 25 core lesson plans, 5 for each question, for K-12 media literacy. Get all the details on their website at http://www.medialit.org/.